During a Home Visit
Skip back to main navigation
- We will remove my shoes and wash my hands
- We want to observe a feeding during our first visit. When we arrive, if the baby is hungry, we will feed the baby first and talk after s/he is latched. Otherwise, we will visit first, then weigh the baby if needed and review your history and paperwork.
- We normally take a ‘hands-off’ approach, we try not to interfere physically with you and your baby. Sometimes assisting you with latch, demonstrating hand expression, or an infant oral exam may need to be done, but only with your permission. We do bring a fake breast and a doll to try and maintain my hands-off approach. We always wear latex-free gloves.
- We will look at your nipples before and after a nursing session with your baby. There is a lot that can be seen just by the shape and condition of your nipples.
- We may walk around you and change our position as you are nursing your baby to observe his/her latch from the best possible angle. We can also tell a lot by the faces your baby makes and the looks of cheeks, and sucks that your baby makes.